It’s no secret that fresh produce is usually considered to be a healthy part of the diet, and this can also be true for our four-legged friends. We know that our pets love sharing snacks with us, but it’s important to be aware of the foods you shouldn’t give them.
Other than giving our furry friends ‘human food’ to eat, sometimes they help themselves when we aren’t looking by touching something that isn’t theirs in the trash or getting up close with an open cabinet door. This is where you might start worrying: did he/she overeat? Should I call my vet right away?
The safety of our pets is one thing we should always take into consideration. Below, let’s look at some common fruits and veggies that are harmful to dogs or have some components that are toxic for them. Preventing accidents is the best way to avoid them, but sometimes they still happen. Early action can help spare your pet from unnecessary vet trips.
1. Grapes, Raisins, and Currants
Grapes are toxic to dogs, but the reason why is unknown. While it may seem like a harmless snack for your pup at first glance – don’t be fooled; this delicious fruit can cause major harm when ingested by our four-legged friends. One or two grapes could lead your dog straight into kidney failure or even permanent kidney damage. These are the less severe symptoms that include vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.
While some dogs have a higher tolerance to the toxins found in the fruit, it’s not worth risking your pup’s life. Of course, this also means that you should never feed them raisins or currants since they’re just dehydrated grapes.
2. Mushrooms (Wild)
Mushrooms are a common ingredient in many dishes that can be found at your local grocery store. However, the threat of wild mushrooms should be taken seriously. Because poisonous mushrooms are so dangerous, you should think twice before giving your pet any wild-growing fungi.
There are some mushrooms that can be very toxic to dogs, so if your pup happened to eat one even just once it’s wise for you to contact the vet immediately. Make sure you take notes about the time and any information that might be useful. Bring it all to your vet as soon as possible. Stay safe by removing all mushrooms from your yard and scanning the ground during walks or trips to dog parks.
3. Potato and Tomato
One of the most important things you need to know about these two is that they’re both toxic in similar ways and can cause problems if eaten too much or on a regular basis. The nightshade family, in which potato and tomato plants, as well as raw potatoes, are included, produce high levels solaline which can be toxic to dogs.
The small amount of solaline in ripe tomatoes and potatoes makes an occasional bite nothing to be stressed about – as long as you monitor how much your dog eats.
Dogs are always on the lookout, gardeners should be especially cautious of them sniffing around their vegetable plants. A suspected solaline poisoning exhibits signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and confusion.
Rhubarb is a type of vegetable often found in desserts. But pet parents should be careful because it’s poisonous if ingested by cats or dogs, so make sure you don’t have any fresh rubs on your counters or in your backyards.
This plant is filled with soluble oxalates crystals, especially on the leaves, which depletes calcium in the body. The good news is that it takes a large amount of this substance for dogs to suffer severe symptoms. Though rhubarb is generally safe for pets, it can be dangerous if you give them too much. Pet owners with access to this plant should take extra care.
5. Apple, Plums, Persimmons, Cherries, Apricots, Peaches (Seeds, Cores, & Stems)
While the flesh of these fruits is usually fine to share with your pup in small amounts, make sure she doesn’t ingest any stems, cores, or seeds. These parts of the fruits could cause a blockage in the intestines and pose hazards to those who eat them. It also contains toxic cyanide which is extremely harmful. A single cherry or apple seed probably won’t cause any damage, but if your dog gets into the batch of fresh-picked apples and bagful of cherries then it’s time for a call with his vet.
Avocado is a great source of healthy fats, but it might not be the best choice for you dogs. Avocado contains persin, a toxic chemical found in the skin, leaves and pit of this plant. However, the presence of persin is also in the flesh of the fruit, causing it to be unsafe for dogs.
Overexposure to persin can cause heart failure and death. However, a lot of online sources claim that even eating a small amount of its flesh may cause an upset stomach for your dog. The most dangerous part of this fruit is its pit, which not only contains persin but can be a serious choking hazard. Avocado is a great food for humans, but it’s probably best if you don’t feed your pup any. If she does happen to eat some of the fruit, be sure to call your vet so they can get on top things with their diagnosis.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share”!