Nature is full of amazing extraordinary birds, each with its own unique characteristics and its own array of colors.
What most people don’t know, is that there is a surprising variety of extraordinary pretty pigeon species in the world. Most of us are aware of the common city pigeons (rock pigeons), these are the grey and navy pigeons you see in numbers in every city.
The first birds to be domesticated by humans are city pigeons. These common creatures have been featured in ancient Mesopotamian paintings, mosaics, and statues from 4500 BC!
Enjoy some of the finest, most colorful, and extraordinary pigeons that nature has to offer:
1. The Victoria crowned pigeon– Native to New Guinea, these birds make whooping sounds.
2. The Jacobin pigeon– Originating in Asia, this breed is known for its feathered hood.3. The Indian Fantail– A descendant of the rock dove, this breed started out in India.4. The Nicobar pigeon– As one observer aptly put it, it’s “like a mix of peacock and pigeon!”5. The spinifex pigeon- These Australian birds are social and usually live in groups of four to 20.6. A red and white roller pigeon– Roller pigeons get their name from their ability to roll in the air.7. The pied imperial pigeon– These birds from Southeast Asia are considered large and can weigh more than a pound.8. The pink-necked green pigeon– Also from Southeast Asia, only males of this species have pink necks.9. The Lahore pigeon– Coming from Iran, this fancy breed is a popular pet among pigeon lovers.10. Archangel pigeons– This breed gets its name from its contrasting feather colors.11. The English Trumpeter– These pigeons are quite popular in the U.S.12. The Ice pigeon– These birds get their color from feather dust.13. The African green pigeon– As you might have noticed, this breed bears a striking resemblance to the African green parrot! 14. The Old Dutch Capuchine– Popular in Malaysia and Singapore, this breed has a feathered hood and a head crest.15. The common bronzewing pigeon– These are actually Australia’s most common pigeons! 16. The English Carrier pigeon- This breed has several prominent features, including a long neck.17. Yellow-footed green pigeons– This colorful species is the state bird of Maharashtra, India.18. The South German Monk– Can you guess how this pigeon got its name? 19. A blue bar Frillback pigeon– Frillbacks come in a variety of colors, including brown, yellow, and blue, as seen below. 20. The western, or blue, crowned pigeon– This beauty is the official provincial bird of Western New Guinea.
Some Interesting and Unknown Facts about Pigeons:
- Pigeons have strong muscles which are used to help in flying. Depending on their flying ability and range, their muscular abilities vary.
- Pigeons are only herbivores. They are plant eaters, and their diet mostly consists of fruits, seeds, and small plants.
- They are intelligent. And they can recognize similar-faced people in pictures and daily life, and all the more, can even recognize themselves. Interesting isn’t it!
- These birds are great at multitasking. They can switch jobs, and still do the tasks at the same speed.
- You can never find baby pigeons outside. They live in their nest for a month, after which they look similar to adults.